Job Purpose: As an ever-growing and evolving organization, new opportunities for the New Dawn as a whole, and for particular divisions within the organization, emerge regularly.
The Meals on Wheels Coordinator is responsible for ensuring best practice(s) in coordination of program clients and volunteers for Sydney and the surrounding area. In addition to the day-to-day oversight of clients and volunteers, this position involves program growth and development overtime, attention to budgets and program financial responsibility, attention to invoicing and accounts reconciliation, and trouble-shooting client and volunteer issues.
The Coordinator is also responsible for marketing the program and building community partnerships to benefit the Meals on Wheels program.
- Prepare and update weekly client schedules and submit to Meals on Wheels Kitchen
- Attend to Meals on Wheels phone line and respond to all inquiries
- With Anchored Ideas (and/or New Dawn Communications staff), develop and deliver marketing efforts to recruit new clients
- Design, implement and evaluate annual surveys for clients/families
- Prepare and update weekly volunteer schedules and communicate to volunteers as needed
- With Anchored Ideas (and/or New Dawn Communications staff), develop and deliver marketing efforts to recruit new volunteers
- Develop and deliver volunteer appreciation initiatives
- With New Dawn Human Resource Coordinator, develop and facilitate training and development programs for volunteers
- With New Dawn Human Resources Coordinator, plan and execute volunteer orientations
- Develop, implement and evaluate annual surveys for volunteers
- Work with community partners to promote program, recruit volunteers, identify and secure funding partners and evaluate community need/changing needs of community and program
- Work towards program financially sustainable, including grant applications, assisting with fundraising initiatives and campaigns and fulfilling requirements of annual United Way partnership (applications, reporting, engagement, relationship-building)
- Maintain up to date records of all client and volunteer information
- Record all interactions/conversations with clients regarding employee/volunteer interaction and the quality of the meals
- Develop modern, efficient, digital record-keeping practices and keep all electronic files up to date as program changes
- Review monthly financial statements and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement
- Track all meals sold and work with accounting department to process billing for all clients
- Monitor accounts receivable on a monthly basis and take actions/follow-up on overdue accounts
- Participate in development of annual budget, monitor budget monthly, and report on budget variances
Meals on Wheels Kitchen
- Aid in meal packaging and distribution to volunteers when required
- Maintain the confidentiality of volunteers, clients and organizational proprietary information by developing, instituting and monitoring policies to protect the privacy rights of those entities
- Promote the mission and values of New Dawn and New Dawn Meals on Wheels, internally and externally, including to/among volunteers
- Write and implement new policies and procedures relevant to Meals on Wheels
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining networks; and participating in professional organizations
- Seek out ways to improve program quality, reach, understanding, and efficiencies
- Participate in planning and other internal meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Manager
- Trustworthiness & Ethics
- Results orientation
- Self-motivated and able to work semi-independently
- Able to plan within and report on project budget
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications (oral and written) skills
- Experience and/or comfort with community engagement and conversation
- Highly organized, able to plan and execute multiple projects simultaneously
- Post-secondary degree/diploma and or experience
- Outreach/engagement/non-profit experience
- Food security/food sector experience
- Long periods of sitting/concentrating
- Maybe be required, from time-to-time to assist with event set-up (moderate lifting/moving)
- May be required, from time-time to assist with meal delivery
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Willingness to travel as needed
About New Dawn Enterprises
New Dawn Enterprises Limited is the oldest Community Development Corporation in Canada. New Dawn is a private, volunteer-directed social enterprise dedicated to community building. It seeks to identify community needs and to establish and operate ventures that speak to those needs. Its mission is to engage the community to create and support a culture of self-reliance. Its vision is a self-reliant people living in a vibrant community. New Dawn articulates this mission through a number of businesses, organizations, and partnerships.
Among its businesses and activities are New Dawn Health Care, New Dawn Real Estate, New Dawn Community Engagement and Education, New Dawn Meals on Wheels, the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration, and the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation.
New Dawn Enterprises Compensation Package
New Dawn Enterprises believes in supporting the well-being of its employees and, in service of this, has created the following total compensation package for permanent employees of New Dawn Enterprises.
Canada Life Group Benefits: Medical, Dental, Life Insurance
After three months of employment, New Dawn offers its employees shared-cost group benefits provided by Canada Life including medical, dental, and life insurance benefits. Employees may choose to be enrolled in the plan and may select Single or Family coverage as required.
Self-Directed Registered Retirement Savings Plan
Employees may choose to begin participation in the Self-Directed RRSP plan after completion of three (3) months of employment. Each employee may contribute up to 5% of their gross salary, deducted from their pay cheque. This is matched by the employer to a maximum of five percent (5%).
Flexible Working Arrangements
New Dawn is committed to recruiting and retaining qualified employees and maximizing employee productivity and effectiveness while also being sensitive to the needs of employees for work/life balance. Well-managed flexible work arrangements can help to meet both of these objectives.
- A compressed work week which permits employees to work regular, full-time working hours in less than five (5) days per week.
- Varying shifts, quitting times, lunch periods, and daily working hours provided a specific number of hours are worked each week.
New Dawn acknowledges and is committed to the ongoing professional development and lifelong learning aspirations of its staff. The acquisition of new position-relevant skills and perspectives by employees creates a stronger, more informed, and modern organization. Employees are encouraged to outline education and/or professional development opportunities in the upcoming calendar year as part of their annual check-in and work plan creation.
New Dawn observes twelve (12) public holidays and other days for which staff will be paid. They are: New year’s Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Civic Holiday, Labour Day, National Day of Truth and Reconciliation, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day
In the spirit of family, the CEO reserves the right to close the office between Christmas and New Year’s to enable employees to spend time with their families. This option will be reviewed, and a decision made annually depending on operational requirements.
All new employees entering the organization as a salaried employee will earn 15 days of vacation during the annum and these days can be taken as earned. For each subsequent year of service, employees will earn an additional one day of vacation per calendar year. The maximum vacation entitlement for any one employee is thirty (30) days per calendar year.
Paid Personal Day
In addition to paid vacation and sick days, each employee is entitled to one (1) paid personal day per calendar year.
Paid Volunteer Day
New Dawn’s Volunteer Time Off (VTO) policy is designed to encourage individuals and work teams to participate in volunteer projects that support community needs. Full-time employees can volunteer during work hours up to one day (or 7 hours) per calendar year using the VTO policy.
Paid Sick Time
Employees will be entitled to seven (7) days of sick leave at the beginning of each calendar year. Sick time can be carried forward to a maximum of fifteen (15) days total. Sick leave will not be paid out upon resignation, retirement, or termination of employment for any reason. Sick leave can be used for illness, medical appointments, and visits to specialists for the employee or their family members.
Years of Service
The purpose of the Years of Service Recognition Program is to recognize and reward the service of New Dawn employees at milestones in their careers. All permanent full-and-part-time New Dawn employees will be eligible to receive the Years of Service award.
Employee and Family Assistance Plan (EAP)
The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) is a free support system that employees and their families can turn to for confidential help with stress, anxiety and depression, family and relationship issues, addictions, legal and financial difficulties, health and nutrition concerns and workplace and career difficulties. The program is confidential and optional and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Diversity and Inclusion: At New Dawn Enterprise, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles, and members of the LGBTQ2S+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through their cover letter.