The Café Attendant works under the direct supervision of the Head of Café + Catering to ensure an excellent customer service and culinary experience for all of our Better Bite Café and Catering Guests.
They work to serve the highest quality food and beverages in spaces that are bright, cheery, clean, and filled with pride and warmth.
They care about food quality, origin, presentation, freshness, and nutrition. They seek to create a community atmosphere in the café. When helping out with catering events they ensure that each guest feels seen, attended to and is well fed.
This position requires strict adherence to all policies and regulations related to safety, hygiene, food safety, and preventing COVID transmission.
Current business hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, and Saturdays from 9:00am to 3:00pm. There will be additional evening hours during the summer months that are yet to be determined. A schedule within these hours will be determined by you and the Head of Café + Catering when you begin.
Café Operations – Customer Service
Performing front of house duties such as greeting customers, taking orders, accepting and processing payments, preparing hot and cold beverages, serving grab and go menu items, answering customer questions about menu items and ingredients, attending to customer concerns, and regularly clearing and cleaning tables in café.
Café Operations – Food Preparation
- Preparing food and drink orders for customers in the café
- Preparing food and drink orders for take-out orders and through CB Eats
- Prepping, monitoring, and restocking all mise en place items for service line
- Supporting the preparations and set up/take down of Saturday brunch service
- Supporting the preparation of menu items for Saturday brunch service
- Monitoring all dry inventory levels and notifying supervisor of low stock
- Ensuring that all fresh ingredients are at their highest quality and notify of low stock
- Always using the FIFO (first in, first out method) when stocking wet and dry goods
- Flipping the line- at least after the lunch/brunch if not during and after service
Café Operations – Food Handling and Safety:
- Ensure quality and safety of food preparation, and adherence to additional COVID-safety measures, by performing standard and additional sanitary measures including sweeping of floors, cleaning and sanitizing surfaces, proper covering, and storage of food items according to standards and procedures
- Log all temperatures and record all cleaning duties as per kitchen standard operating procedures
- Report any infractions in food services policies and procedures
- Adhere to all regulations including blood borne pathogens, infection control, and use of hazardous materials and fire safety
- Maintain and take pride in kitchen cleanliness and organization
- As needed assist in the preparation and serving of on and off-site catering/events
- Demonstrate ability to follow instructions and to take on new responsibilities
- As needed assist in the kitchen to execute café and catering related tasks
- As needed, learn thoroughly and be able to assist with the dishwashing process
- Arrive to work at the scheduled time
- Participate actively in problem solving and decision making
- Supports decisions made by the team and managers
- Stay productive at all times; anticipate and prepare for future needs
- Demonstrate flexibility with scheduling and fill in available shifts when possible
- As with all positions within A Better Bite Community Kitchen, assistance with the production and delivery of the Meals on Wheels Program when necessary.
- Customer Focus
- Quality Orientation
- Attention to Detail
- Work Well Under Pressure
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Interpersonal/people skills
- Time Management
- Ethics and Integrity
Required Skills and Certifications
- Food safety training and certification
- First aid/CPR training and certification
- Clear criminal background and vulnerable sector check
- Free of diseases that may be transmitted in the performance of job responsibilities
- Knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling
- Serving training or experience
- Ability to lift up to 50lb
- Culinary/food preparation training or experience
- Access to own transportation and driver’s license
- Interacts with volunteers, family of clients, staff, and visitors
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Evenings and weekends as required
- Overtime as required
About New Dawn Enterprises
New Dawn Enterprises Limited is the oldest Community Development Corporation in Canada. New Dawn is a private, volunteer-directed social enterprise dedicated to community building. It seeks to identify community needs and to establish and operate ventures that speak to those needs. Its mission is to engage the community to create and support a culture of self-reliance. Its vision is a self-reliant people living in a vibrant community. New Dawn articulates this mission through a number of businesses, organizations, and partnerships.
Among its businesses and activities are New Dawn Health Care, New Dawn Real Estate, New Dawn Community Engagement and Education, New Dawn Meals on Wheels, the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration, and the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation.